Friday, July 9, 2010

Old Salem--5Y

Well, I promised I would tell you!! :)

First we'll start with Old Salem. Click link. :)

Now that you know what Old Salem is, (by clicking the link, you shall find out) I will proceed to telling you what 5 Yesterdays (5Y) is:

5Y is a summer program for rising 3rd graders-rising 8th graders. Its soooo much fun! Parker and I have been through all 6 years, Graham just finished his 5th year today. 5Y lasts for 5 days (hence the name 5Y) and one learns about the things Moravian's did a long time ago. (In the 18th-19th century.) Below I will post a little article that I wrote for the Longrifle, an Old Salem e-magazine. :)

Old Salem



Ever since I can remember, my siblings and I have enjoyed going



to Old Salem. The puppet show at the Children’s Museum was always



a favorite when we were young. Since we live in Georgia, going to



Old Salem has never been as frequent as we would like; however,



our grandmother lives in Winston-Salem, loves Old Salem and the



5Y program and has made sure that once old enough, we have had



the opportunity, every summer, to participate in 5Y. I have had



the privilege to go through all six years of 5Y, and this summer, I



am looking forward to volunteering during one of the 5Y weeks!



I truly think 5Y is a great program; some of my favorite things have



been textiles, cooking, shelter, learning the songs that the Moravians



sang so long ago and still sing today (I still remember the songs year



after year!), making new friends, seeing old ones from previous years,



and the Love Feast on Friday, to name a few. But my favorite activity in



5Y has always been pottery day! There is nothing like feeling the soft,



wet clay spinning under your hands and knowing that a mound of clay



will soon turn into a beautiful bowl or plate, a masterpiece to treasure



forever! I will never forget my wonderful experiences over the years at



5Y!
Our cousin, Cole, will be participating next week, and Parker and I will be volunteering!!! (we are too old to participate!)

I'll be back with pictures! (Later) :P

-Hannah
 

No comments: